G8 Protests: More and more police assaults are made public

Posted on

14th June 2007
For Immediate Release
Gipfelsoli Infogroup: +49 160/ 953 14 023
Emergency legal service: +49 1577/ 470 4760 and +49 163/ 619 5151

In the days after the G8 protests more and more details of police assaults on demonstrators are being made public. As victims describe their experiences on internet portals, it is becoming apparent that police massively assaulted, insulted, beat and abused people…..

Lawyers confirm that many times arrests were brutally carried out. Police refused to tend to injured demonstrators. Instead many of them were brought directly to mass detention centres.

A group of cyclists were attacked on their way back to the Reddelich camp on June 2nd. In a dangerous maneuvre, 30 cyclists were stopped on the B105. They were beaten and pepper-sprayed out of still moving police vans.

At the migration-themed demonstration on June 4th, demonstrators were threatened
by the police. “We will take revenge for Saturday if you continue to demonstrate
here”, “Do you want to die?”, “Go, or you won’t see the day out!” The demonstration had been officially registered and proceeded without disturbances on the side of the demonstrators. Police units repeatedly tried to provoke participants. Repeatedly pepper spray was used unannounced. That afternoon,“Kavala” made false claims that stones and bottles had been thrown. However, numerous journalists who were present at the demonstration reported the opposite.

On June 5th a mother and her toddler were arrested in a shuttle bus on their way to the demonstration at the military airport Laage. They were absurdly accused of masking up on the bus. Even the child’s personal details were taken at the mass detention centre. This abuse only stopped when the child repeatedly turned its head as police tried to force the child to be photographed.

At the fifth police check point on the way to the airport a demonstrator’s car was tampered with by the police. All of a sudden the fuel injection pump was missing and the vehicle would no longer start as the group of demonstrators was encircled by grinning police officers.

Water canons were often deployed at the blockades with no warning by the police. Some demonstrators were knocked off their feet from behind by still moving water canon vehicles. On June 7th the operation at the “West Gate” near Hinter Bollhagen led to a number of injuries, including a burst ear drum of one demonstrator. Two activists suffered severe eye injuries and one of them is still in hospital. Recordings show how the police unit carrying out the operation laugh as this happens. Eye witnesses report that the police did not adhere to giving the 3 warnings they are supposed to before deploying water canons. Merely journalists who were standing around were informed beforehand. Despite repeated requests, the police did not let medics tend to the injured. A “nude demonstration” was also attacked with pepper spray. The gas spread over their whole bodies and led to severe skin irritations.

In the whole of Rostock massive police controls took place. People were taken into detention for having pen knives, scarfs or even G8 critical literature on them. During one police check one woman was grabbed in the crotch whilst officers made leery noises. Also near Wichmannsdorf camp demonstrators were sexually harassed. On a parking lot near the camp on June 5th, a group of women had to undress in front of all the police officers present.

During police transportation there were further abuses, as one victim describes. “The police took off the handcuffs cutting into my hands so that they could take off my rucksack, threatening to beat me if I moved. To underline their point, one of the police officers rammed my head against the cell wall. After the police finally left me and other detainees in the cell, we were told not to speak or else he would ensure that we “would never be able to speak again”. “In one case a police unit stormed a tram as it stopped, police beat up everyone dressed in black and then left the tram again immediately”, the legal investigation board wrote on June 4th.

Many received injunctions for Rostock and Bad Doberan. Often their papers were marked with “abstained from appeal” or “lawful hearing accorded”. No instructions were given in any of these cases.

• Chronicle of attacks: http://gipfelsoli.org/
• Assessment of the legal investigation board:
• Further reports: http://gipfelsoli.org/Repression
• Comments by victims: http://de.indymedia.org/2007/06/184032.shtml
• Press Releases of the emergency legal service: http://gipfelsoli.org/Presse

Media G8way does not claim responsibility for the content of the statements it
distributes on behalf of the groups or individuals who use its service. Media
G8way is an international press service for individuals, groups, networks and
(dis)organisations who understand themselves to be part of an independent
radical left movement against the G8.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s